"Saving" Money

Saving money. We hear it all the time these days, and even more recently with TV shows like "Extreme Couponing." Yahoo Finance has almost daily articles about different ways to save money. Then today, they had an article called "Dumb Money 'Saving' Mistakes" and I found myself guilty of a few.

First, it addresses the classic "Buy One, Get One Free" (or any variation of that). Basically, unless you were already planning to buy the One in the first place, the Free one isn't really "free," now is it? I've fallen victim to this at Victoria's Secret, when their lotions and perfumes are Buy 3, Get 2 Free. This would be really awesome, if I needed 5 (or even 3) beauty products all at the same time, but usually I'm only out of one item in the set--lotion, for example. So, instead of buying the one bottle of lotion that I actually need, I end up buying lotion, body spray, body cream, and then scrambling to find 2 more items to complete the deal. At $9-10 bucks a pop, I end up spending around $30 for that one bottle of lotion I needed. On the plus side, I'm stocked up on body spray and body cream for the next millenium! Assuming I never feel like switching scents, that is.

Another "money saver" is the dollar store. I've found that mostly, items there are junk. However, you can find some good deals on things like party supplies and gift wrap (WAY overpriced at party stores) and seasonal decorations (but be careful that you don't get the junky stuff). Other than that, be careful when buying things with expiration dates, especially food items--sometimes they are past or very close to the expiration date.

And now one that is near and dear to my heart: excessive couponing. Many of you may know that I carry around a 3-ring coupon binder. (I will show you how to make one in a future post!). Basically, I clip coupons for any products that I think I might use. Then if that item goes on sale, or if a store is offering double-coupons, I will use that coupon. Most of the time, it's for items I regularly use; sometimes, however, I will buy an item I don't normally use simply because I have a coupon for it. I know this is one of the reasons manufacturers issue coupons, but for me it may not mean that I am "saving" money. Also, I may buy an item that I regularly use simply because I have a coupon for it and it's on sale, but I may already have a good supply of it at home. Then I end up with 3 bottles of laundry detergent that I have to hang on to (in my small apartment) until I need them, or 4 tubes of toothpaste that I have to find room for in my bathroom vanity. Is stocking up worth my sanity, when my apartment is overcrowded with stock?

Finally, the article touched briefly on someone driving around town to try to find the cheapest gas. Just recently, I came to the conclusion that it really doesn't matter where I get my gas. In the long run, saving a few cents per gallon isn't worth my sanity or time trying to drive around town finding the best deal. Really, think about it: my gas tank only holds about 12 gallons of gas, so the most I could ever possibly save by spending $.03 less per gallon is $.36 on a whole tank of gas. Whoopie. I'd rather go to the more convenient gas station located in the grocery store parking lot, out of which I can make a right turn onto the busy street, rather than go to the other side of town to the station that I know is 4 cents cheaper, fighting traffic and wasting more gas to get there (this article says that it costs you 12.34 cents per mile in fuel to drive your car!)

Basically, be smart about saving money. Be realistic. If you don't need it, don't buy it. (I'm still learning that one myself!). Don't buy something just because it's on sale, if you don't need it or may not even use it. Remember: it's only saving money if you were planning to buy it anyway!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trimming Cabinets

Counters and Floors

Goodbye Smelly Carpet!