Recipe: Southern Style Hashbrowns

For a little change of pace, I'm going to share one of my favorite recipes. This is one that my mom and I created based on hash browns we had at restaurants, but tweaking them to exactly what we wanted. I usually make this recipe when I have about half a bag of potatoes that I won't be able to use otherwise before they spoil :) Whenever I go home, mom & dad ask me to make this--they tell me I'm better at it, but I know they're only humoring me because it's super simple!


So here's all you need:
  • As many potatoes as you want, usually 6-8
  • green bell pepper, diced
  • onion, diced
  • Shredded cheese (of your choice)
  • 1-2 eggs (optional)
  • Butter (NOT margarine)

First, you'll want to bake the potatoes. I usually do this the night before, and then refrigerate them overnight. The potatoes are much easier to deal with when they have been chilled. 

When you're ready to put it all together, put some butter in a non-stick frying pan. Let the butter melt on low heat.


While the butter is melting, peel and cut up your potatoes into little cubes and add them to the pan.


Continue until all your potatoes are cubed. Stir it up so that the potato cubes are evenly coated in melted butter. You can also salt & pepper to taste at this point.


Now turn the heat up to medium-high and allow the potatoes to brown, stirring occasionally.


Next, separate half of the potatoes into another pan because your boyfriend doesn't like peppers & onions. 


Once the potatoes start to brown, you can add your vegetables. I use pre-packaged frozen chopped peppers and onions that I get from Kroger. They're about $.99 a bag, which is cheaper than fresh, and I don't have to chop them! Add as many or as little as you want, there is no right or wrong amount!


Let the vegetables cook just until they are hot. You don't want mushy vegetables! Next, you can add the egg, if you want to. I personally don't like eggs, but I added egg to James' pan because he does.


Once the egg is cooked, turn the heat off and let the pan stay on the burner. Sprinkle cheese over top and let the heat melt the cheese.


Serve, and enjoy!! This also makes great leftovers. I used 8 small potatoes, and I think this would serve 2-3 (more if it is only a side dish).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trimming Cabinets

Counters and Floors

Goodbye Smelly Carpet!