M is for McFrugal

After we got married, I wanted to integrate my new monogram into our home decor. I found this paper maché M at Michaels, and thought I would do an interesting paint treatment on it. So I just set up a station, using push pins to prop up the M while I painted it.



My first coat of paint was a beautiful turquoise, over which I painted a coat of brown paint. 


Then I painted a layer of crackle medium over the brown layer, so that the turquoise paint would show through the cracks. Buuuuuuuuut I tried to skimp and just get one-step crackle medium and it DID.NOT.WORK. 

So, plan B! When you can't paint it how you like, cover it up! I saw an idea on Pinterest for a letter wrapped in twine to hang on the front door. Here was my inspiration: 


Source: Pinterest

I found a spool of twine at Walmart for only $1.99. I bought 2 rolls, but only ended up using part of one. I also used a hot glue gun for this project. I only glued in the back, so each time I would wrap the twine around, I would glue it in the back. I continued this until the entire M had been wrapped in twine. 


Then, I found some brown ribbon and used it to create a hook for hanging the M on the door. Basically, I just cut a long piece of ribbon, tied a bow in the middle, and glued the ends of the ribbon to the back of the M, like this:


Next, I found some flowers and tied another ribbon bow to attach to the front of the M, like this: 


Finally, all I had left to do was hang it on the front door, and enjoy!


I'm so happy with the way it turned out! Now, if only we had a nice front door...a project for another time, I suppose!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trimming Cabinets

Counters and Floors

Goodbye Smelly Carpet!