Painting the Stripes and the Big Reveal

I know, most "real" bloggers don't post on Sundays, but this is my blog and I do what I want!

When we left off on Friday, I had just finished taping off the room in preparation for my stripes. Before I started painting on Saturday, I made sure the tape was smoothed out and stuck on all the edges so I didn't have any leakage. I didn't want to use my fingers because that was a LOT of tape to smooth, so I used the edge of a credit card.


Notice I put my tape to the side of my chalk lines, so that the darker gray paint will cover them up. Next step was to decide how I wanted my stripes to start and end, where they would meet the solid (non-striped) walls. I didn't want the last stripe to carry over onto the solid wall, so I decided to do them opposite colors. I wrote D's and L's in pencil (for Dark and Light gray) to get me started in the corner where the stripe met the solid wall.



Then I started with the light gray paint! The paint I chose is called "Secret Passage" by Olympic. I just painted every other stripe, as well as the wall with the door and closet.


My stripes were wide enough that I could use a standard paint roller, which was nice because I also used it on the solid wall. This way, I didn't have to use two different rollers. I did two coats and let this dry overnight.

On Sunday, I started painting the darker gray. That paint is called "Flagstone" by Olympic, and it's the same color I used in the kitchen and main bathroom.


I also painted the wall with the window. 


Next, I let everything dry for a few hours. This is what the tape looked like under all that paint...


I promise, it's under there somewhere!

Are you ready for the big reveal? Here we go...


Ooooooh....next is a final shot of all 4 corners of the room, starting where the two striped walls meet and going counter-clockwise.



Make sure you have a cat in the window to inspect your work.


I LOVE IT!! I'm not sure that James was entirely sold on the concept, until he saw it all done. I still have a few places to touch up, like where I got a little happy with the roller and accidentally went over the tape onto the lighter gray, or where the tape pulled away some of the paint near the ceiling (oops! guess I didn't wait long enough to pull off the tape, but I wanted to see it!!!).

There you have it, the painting in here is done! (except the touch-ups, but I'll do that later). Right now, I'm just really excited with how it turned out! I couldn't be more pleased with the results. I think it will be a perfect guest room/creative space, and future nursery.

Comments

  1. This is awesome! I would be soooo proud of these walls if I were you. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Trimming Cabinets

Counters and Floors

Goodbye Smelly Carpet!