Age.

I'm learning more and more that age is mostly a state of mind. You are as "old" or as "young" as you want to be. However, at 24 years, I feel like I'm somewhere in between.

I feel like I'm just dressing up like an adult, playing the part...wearing "career clothes" and going to my "career" each day. Saying "grown-up" things and acting "mature." Buying a reliable car and kitchen appliances, paying the utility bills and rent.

All I really want to do is wear jeans and flip-flops, hang out with my friends until the wee hours of the morning, spend the whole day sightseeing, take spontaneous weekend road trips, and spend Sunday evenings at the musical fountains in Grand Haven.

But instead, I have to work from 9 to 5 every day so that I have money to pay for my reliable car, apartment and utilities. I can't stay out late at night because I know that if I do, I'll be too tired to function at work. I can't buy jeans and flip-flops because they aren't acceptable to wear at work, and I can't afford 2 separate wardrobes because I have to pay for my reliable car, apartment and utilities. And I can't spend Sunday evenings on the pier in Grand Haven because I live in Nashville, so that I can go to work every day to earn money to pay for said reliable car, apartment and utilities.

I know in my mind that I'm young and should be having fun, enjoying life...but I also know in my mind that I have responsibilities and bills to pay. I realized recently that I no longer get excited for payday because it means I'll have money to spend...I get excited because it means I can pay my bills and make it one more month.

I'm not really living; I'm surviving--and barely that.

SIGH.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trimming Cabinets

Counters and Floors

Goodbye Smelly Carpet!